I received my B.A. (1995) from Eastern Illinois University, and my M.S. (2000) and Ph.D. (2003) in Social-Personality Psychology from Kansas State University. I have been at Ball State University since 2007, currently as an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychological Science.
My research interests include attitudes and persuasion, sex differences in reactions to infidelity, health psychology, and the Theory of Planned Behavior.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Health Psychology
- Persuasion, Social Influence
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Social Cognition
- Tagler, M. J., & Cozzarelli, C. (in press). Feelings toward the poor and beliefs about the causes of poverty: The role of affective-cognitive consistency in help-giving. The Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied.
- Brannon, L. A., Tagler, M. J., & Eagly, A. E. (2007). The moderating role of attitude strength on selective exposure to information. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 43, 611-617.
- Cozzarelli, C., Tagler, M. J., & Wilkinson, A. V. (2002). Do middle-class students perceive poor women and poor men differently? Sex Roles, 47, 519-529.
- Cozzarelli, C., Wilkinson, A. V., & Tagler, M. J. (2001). Attitudes toward the poor and attributions for poverty. Journal of Social Issues, 57, 207-227.
- Pease, M. E., McCabe, A. E., Brannon, L. A., & Tagler, M. J. (2003). Memory distortions for pre-Y2K expectancies: A demonstration of the hindsight bias. The Journal of Psychology: Interdisciplinary and Applied, 137, 397-399.
- Tagler, M. J. (2012). Choking under the pressure of a positive stereotype: Gender identification and self-consciousness moderate men’s math test performance. The Journal of Social Psychology, 152, 401-416.
- Tagler, M. J. (2010). Sex differences in jealousy: Comparing the influence of previous infidelity among college students and adults. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 1(4), 353-360.
- Tagler, M. J. (2000). Neuroscience and mainstream psychology. American Psychologist, 55, 271.
- Tagler, M. J., & Gentry, R. H. (2011). Gender, jealousy, and attachment: A (more) thorough examination across measures and samples. Journal of Research in Personality, 45, 697-701.
- Tagler, M. J., & Jeffers, H. M. (2013). Sex differences in attitudes toward partner infidelity. Evolutionary Psychology, 11(4), 821-832.
- Empirical Research in Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Research Methods
- Social Psychology
Michael J. Tagler
Department of Psychological Science
Ball State University
Muncie, Indiana 47306
- Phone: (765) 285-4600
- Fax: (765) 285-1702